Explore the effects that can cause hair color to fade and what stylists should recommend to their clients for hair protection.
Summer brings warm weather, sunshine, and countless outdoor adventures. However, for those who have invested time and effort in maintaining their vibrant hair color, the season can present some challenges. The combination of UV rays, chlorine, saltwater, and heat can cause hair color to fade more rapidly, leaving your clients longing for their next salon appointment. But fear not! In this blog post, we will explore the factors that contribute to hair color fading during summer and provide recommendations from hairstylists on how to preserve your client’s color between salon visits, including tips from Marris Ambrose
, color director at New York City’s Julien Farel Restore Salon & Spa.
Understand the Effects of Summer on Hair Color: To effectively combat color fading, it’s crucial to understand why it occurs. Here are a few factors responsible for the loss of hair color intensity during the summer:
UV Radiation: The sun’s UV rays penetrate the hair cuticle, breaking down the color molecules and causing them to oxidize. This process leads to dullness and fading hair color.
- Chlorine and Saltwater: Frequent exposure to chlorinated pools or saltwater can strip away the hair’s natural oils, making it porous and more susceptible to color loss. Chemicals in pools and saltwater can also react with hair dye, causing unwanted discoloration.
- Heat and Humidity: High temperatures and humidity levels can open the hair cuticle, allowing color molecules to escape more easily. Additionally, excessive sweating can cause color to bleed or fade faster.
Recommendations for Clients to Protect Their Hair:
As a hairstylist, it is important to educate and guide your clients on how to maintain their vibrant and fresh look between salon appointments. Here are some expert recommendations:
Use Color-Safe Products: Encourage your clients to invest in color-safe shampoos, conditioners, and styling products specially formulated products help seal the hair cuticle, locking in color and preventing fading.
Product Recommendation: Keune Care Tinta Color Shampoo 10.1 oz.
- UV Protection: Advise your clients to invest in haircare products that contain UV filters. Look for leave-in conditioners or sprays specifically formulated to provide UV protection.
Product Recommendation: UNITE 7SECONDS Detangler 8 oz.
- Wear Protective Headgear: Advise your clients to wear hats, scarves, and caps to shield their hair from direct sunlight. This simple step can significantly reduce UV exposure and minimize color fading.
- Apply Product Before Swimming: Prior to swimming in pools or saltwater, recommend that clients coat their hair with hair oil or conditioner, says Marris Ambrose. By saturating the hair with product, it absorbs less chlorine or saltwater, reducing the risk of color fading.
- Limit Heat Styling: Heat styling tools, such as straighteners and curling irons, can further damage color-treated hair. Encourage clients to embrace natural hairstyles during summer or use heat protectants before styling to minimize color fading.
Product Recommendation: Milbon Signature Repair Heat Protective Mist 4.1 oz.
- Regularly Deep Condition: Recommend deep conditioning treatments or masks to your clients once a week. These treatments nourish and hydrate the hair, improving color retention and overall health.
Product Recommendation: ELEVEN Australia Miracle Hair Mask 6.76 oz.
The Importance of Maintaining Hair Between Appointments:As a hair stylist, you play a vital role in helping your clients maintain their hair color beyond the chair. Here’s why it is important:
Prolongs Color Vibrancy: By educating clients about preserving their hair color, you empower them to keep their vibrant hues intact for longer periods. This builds trust and enhances their overall satisfaction with your services.
- Saves Time: When clients actively care for their hair between salon visits, their color lasts longer, this reduces the frequency of trying to correct the hair and leaves more time to execute your clients’ vision.
- Promotes Hair Health: Encouraging clients to adopt hair hare practices that protect their color also benefits the overall health of their hair. Well-maintained hair is stronger, shinier, and less prone to breakage, ensuring results during subsequent salon visits.
Maintaining hair color during the summer is no easy task, but with the right knowledge and precautions, your clients can enjoy vibrant hues all season long. As a hair stylist, providing guidance on color preservation builds trust, enhances client satisfaction, and helps to save time. By recommending color-safe products, protective measures, and hair care routines, you can empower your clients to enjoy their stunning hair color in the summer sun while eagerly awaiting their next salon appointment.